GOM Player is a free multimedia player that allows you to playback the most common video and audio file formats. One important advantage is that it includes many customizable options.
During the installation, you can set the program as the default media player or just customize it to play the major media formats (AVI, OGM, MKV, etc.). Also after launching the program for the first time, it shows a configuration wizard that allows you to easily configure the display mode as a normal player, high-quality mode (recommended for high-performance computers), or a TV output mode for TV displays. You also have the options to include internal video and audio codecs; set the type of audio channels (2 channels, 4 channels, 5.1 Channels, and S/PDIF); set the subtitles format, CPU priority, and again you are asked about the type of files that will be associated to this program.
There is a real difference in the display modes. With the high-quality mode you can set the video mixing renderer and launch multiple GOM players. With the TV output mode, you can set the video output, TV format, full screen mode, and other parameters. It is important to mention that the configuration wizard cannot be launched again, but all these settings can be manually modified from the preferences window.
Its GUI, which only runs in desktop mode on Windows 8, is clean and smooth; with a transparency level, the usual playback controls, time bar, volume, backward and forward buttons; there is a play list panel, and a control panel where you can use the screen capture function, change the playback speed, set the equalizer, and set the subtitle format.
With its many customizable options, its ability to support many media formats and codecs, GOM Players is a good option to try.
- Advanced features, such as screen capture, audio capture, playback speed control, and video effects.
- Multiple display modes.
- An extensive File Support
- Third party programs are offered during the installation. So it is important to read carefully the installation setup.
- The configuration Wizard is only shown by the first time that the program is executed, so further changes have to be configured manually.
- The backward and forward buttons are indeed fast forward buttons